Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weather, Golf, and House

Today, the high was 87 degrees, and I just had to take advantage of the "cool" weather by playing a round of golf. The forecast called for thunderstorms and flash floods, but I figured I would chance it. I played at Desert Willow, the executive course in Henderson that I play at most often. After 10am, it's $25, and there were very few people on the course. It was blustery, and my ball was left up to the discretion of the wind. It rained for a few holes, and otherwise there were sprinkles here and there. But there were no flash floods, and the temperature was 78 degrees when I finished, so I enjoyed the cool July day despite my horrible score.

I'm starting to get a little nervous about my house, and this Las Vegas Review Journal article didn't do anything to calm my anxiety. The house I'm buying is a short sale, which means that it is owned by an individual who wants to sell it for less than is owed on the house. The bank must approve the sale, and this can be a very long process. I had been avoiding short sales when house hunting, but the listing agent said that this price was already approved by the bank and the paperwork had been expedited, whatever that means. Everything is moving along as planned, but we're waiting on the bank to give final approval of the sale price. I'm not necessarily worried about this, especially because the appraisal came in pretty close to the sales price, but I'm just concerned about timing. Earlier this week, I locked in a 40-day loan at 5.5%, which is a phenomenal rate. But, if we don't close in 40 days, I lose that loan and must secure another. No matter how on the ball my real estate agent and mortgage broker are, they can't do anything to make the process with the bank any faster. I can go month-to-month at my current place, so that's not a problem, but I just don't want to lose my loan and risk paying a much higher fee for my great interest rate.

Yesterday, my real estate agent was kind enough to take me by my house to take another look at it and to take pictures. When I saw it the first time, I literally flew through the house because I wanted to get the paperwork prepared right away. It was so much fun to visit it, and I still love it. I especially liked that we went on a Saturday afternoon and the neighborhood was silent. There were no kids screaming in the street, dogs barking, or cars speeding though, as would be typical in my current neighborhood.

Here's a picture of the front of the house:

No comments: