Friday, November 7, 2008

Athens, Part II

After a nap this afternoon, the five RTI-HSers staying at the Athens Gate hotel met up at the rooftop bar to decide on dinner. We walked to Plaka, which is right next to the hotel and has pedestrian streets lined with sidewalk cafes. We picked the restaurant with the largest menu, and we tried some different appetizers - stuffed cabbage, fried eggplant, olives, and octopus. I had a Greek salad and, for the main course, pork souvlaki with french fries. The pork did not impress me (it was rather dry, but I tend to find pork dry in general), but the appetizers were fantastic and I look forward to trying new ones at our next meal.

View of the Temple of Zeus from my room at night:

View of the Acropolis from the hotel rooftop bar:

Hadrian's Arch leading to the Temple of Zeus:

Pedestrian street in Plaka, where we had dinner:

There are stray dogs and cats everywhere. It is a good thing that my luggage is a tight fit, or I would be bringing some home!

No comments: